This post and the photos within it may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you.
In this article, you can find 20 essential oils for dreams and better sleep.
The truth is that our sense of smell is an effective approach to induce lucidity and to boost your dream awareness!
Additionally, regular sleeping patterns are essential not only for our overall well-being but also for LUCID DREAMING. Interestingly, specific essential oils are used for decades to induce various states, including lucid dreams.
Now, we are going to look at the 20 best essential oils for dreams, and a few more topics, including:
- What are essential oils and how can they induce lucid dreams?
- Benefits of essential oils
- How to choose the right essential oils for YOU?
- Side effects and things to consider when using essential oils
- How to use the essential oils for lucid dreams
- The 20 best essential oils for dreams and better sleep
- Final words
1. What are essential oils and how do they work?
As mentioned, essential oils are used for thousands of years in various cultures.
They can be used for medicinal and health purposes.
The best part is that they are completely natural, cost-effective and safe!
They have antidepressant properties, as well as detoxifying and antibacterial.
Essential oils are very often used as aromatherapy, too.
For instance, if you inhale the aromas from essential oils, they can stimulate areas of your limbic system.
This is a part of your brain that plays a role in emotions, behaviors, sense of smell and long-term memory.
So, scent can be strong stimulants, even if we are unconscious.
Interestingly, the limbic system is profoundly connected in regulating some unconscious physiological functions, too.
That includes breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure.
What is more, certain scents are known for their benefits in improving:
- dream recall
- increasing visualization ability
- repel nightmares
- better sleep
- vivid dreams
2. Benefits of essential oils
Provoke lucid dreams
Different smells can provoke different states and emotions.
One of the first lucid dream researcher, Marquis d’Hervey Saint-Denys, created his own experiments, back in the 19th century.
He discovered that specific smells could indirectly affect his dream content.
Furthermore, he concluded that smells were tied to emotions that are linked to specific locations and memories.
Then, in 2007, a study got comparable results.
A certain smell exhibited during deep sleep (slow wave sleep) prompted memories that formed earlier in the day, associated with the same smell.
Then in 2008, another research was done, on the same topic.
In the experiment, volunteers got 2 smells while sleeping – a rotten-egg and a smell of roses.
Participants reported having more positive dreams with the rose-smelling stimulus and more negative dreams with the egg-smelling one.
“When stimulating the subject with a positive smell, the emotional coloration was positive in nearly every case.
Whereas with negative stimulation, the emotional tone was shifted to negative.”
This study showed that even unconsciously, we process smells all the time.
It also suggests the idea to enhance your dream life through aromatherapy.
In 2009, one more research showed that external stimuli presented during sleep can affect dream content.
Promote deep and restful sleep
Researchers used lavender oil for a study which proved that the scent increased the percentage of deep sleep in the subjects.
The conclusion of the study was that lavender works as a:
- mild sedative
- promoting deep sleep
- improving the quality of sleep, naturally!
Researchers found that some scents have a positive effect on sleep deprivation and disturbances.
Smelling lavender showed a positive effect on sleep quality in this study.
Essential oil from lavender also showed to increase the quality of sleep and reduced level of anxiety in the people from another study.
The majority of researches concluded that there is a positive effect of some essential oils on sleep.
By all means, lavender is one of the best sleeping remedies, as well as one of the most frequently studied essential oil.
One last evidence proposed that inhaling essential oils can be considered for people with mild sleep disturbances.
Reduce stress and anxiety
Various studies tested the effects of aromatherapy on sleep quality, stress, and anxiety of patients.
Some researches confirmed that it had a positive effect on reducing anxiety and increasing sleep.
Treatment with essential oils can significantly reduce negative emotions, feelings of anxiety, stress, and depression.
Several essential oils are reported to reduce anxiety. For instance lavender, orange, sandalwood, rose, bergamot, clary sage, and roman chamomile.
Due to their calming and sedative effects, they are perfect relaxation aid!
The sense of smell starts from our nose and through tiny holes connects directly to the brain.
This sends signals, almost instantaneously to many parts of the brain, including the limbic system.
Hence, the oils could also have an impact in creating some chemicals in the brain that will make you feel good, such as serotonin.
Additionally, aromatherapy is an equivalent and alternative medicine practice.
The healing power of scents works towards balancing your mind, body, and spirit.
Improve brain function
Interestingly, they can also improve your cognitive performance!
Scientific researchers proved that some scents have strong antioxidants. They can naturally improve brain function and reduce inflammation.
Another thing is that some oils can improve learning, memory, and ability to focus.
This is important because it has the potential to help you with your reality checks, dream recall, and meditation.
Another amazing use is a reduction of toxicity!
Nowadays, we are exposed to a number of chemicals and environmental toxins.
In some areas, such as the US, there is a high percentage in our tap water of synthetic fluoride.
Fluoride is a harmful toxin that effects on our pineal gland as well as numerous other organs of the body.
Luckily, aromatherapy promotes the detoxification of toxins that build up in the body!
The best scents for reducing toxicity include grapefruit, orange, lemon, lemongrass, cinnamon, peppermint and tea tree.
3. How to choose the right essential oils for YOU
Firstly, you should find PURE essential oil.
Some companies might claim that their products are ”pure” however, you should be careful.
Some of them might use additives or synthetic oils.
You should avoid oils that have been diluted with synthetic fragrances, chemicals or oils.
When getting essential oil to try to look for:
- Quality – find use pure plant compounds extracted by distillation or cold pressing.
High-quality essential oils are changed the least by the extraction process. Look the label and choose a chemical-free essential oil.
- Purity – the pure oils normally list the plant’s botanical name. So instead of ”essential oil of lavender” try to look for – Lavandula officinalis
Furthermore, it really depends on the goal you have.
There are a number of different things that you might aim for!
Keep reading to find 20 essential oils for dreams, better sleep & rest, for improving your memory, etc.
See their effects and then choose the ones that sound the best for you.
4. Side effects and things to consider when using an essential oil
Even though they are generally safe, improper use may cause harm. Some essential oils can cause:
- irritation on your eyes, skin or the membranes in your nose
- mild allergic reactions
- asthma attacks
While the most common side effect is a rash, essential oils can cause more serious reactions, if ingested at higher doses.
Eating essential oils is not recommended, as it could potentially be harmful and in larger doses – deadly.
So, in order to prevent allergic reactions, always check the label and ask your doctor.
Also, before using any essential oil, try to put a very small amount on a part of your body.
See if it will cause any reactions the next 12-24 hours.
5. How to use essential oils for dreams
The oils can be inhaled in several ways:
You can place essential oil drops in a diffuser. There are 2 options: either at full strength or diluted with water.
The diffuser allows the oils to evaporate, producing the scent in the air.
Combine a few drops with 100ml of water. It will release a fragrant mist for up to 6 hours!
This is a perfect option, that provides extended exposure for influencing your dreams. there are a lot of affordable Diffusers online, too.
For example, I found a very cheap but great Diffuser options on Amazon, like this one.
You can put them in a water solution to make a simple spray.
This can be used to freshen a room and to boost good feelings.
Besides that, it can increase alertness and concentration.
In addition, you can evaporate and breath the essential oils. This can be an effective way to relieve symptoms of a cold or an allergy.
Simply add a few drops of essential oils to steaming hot water.
Then, place a towel over your head while hovering over the bowl and inhale deeply!
3) Diluted and then rubbed on the skin
Since essential oils are very concentrated, it is not the best idea to apply them directly to the skin.
Hence, you should always dilute all essential oils before applying to the skin, either in a fatty oil or in water.
4) Dry evaporation
Firstly, spring a few drops of essential oils on a towel or a cotton ball and let it evaporate.
Then, inhale the scent of the oil directly from the material for a more intense, immediate effect. You can even make your own DREAM PILLOW!
How? It is pretty simple actually.
I described the process step-by-step in THIS article!
All things considered, it is important to know that they can interact in different ways.
If you inhale the aromas from essential oils, they can stimulate areas of your limbic system.
When rubbed on the skin, the plant chemicals are directly absorbed.
6. The 20 best essential oils for lucid dreams
Getting a deep sleep is ESSENTIAL for lucid dreaming, as reaching the REM stage of sleep supports comprehensive, vivid and detailed dreams.
This is why essential oils can effectively aid to a lucid dreaming as well as to better sleep.
The 20 best essential oils for dreams are:
1. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage will gently calm your body and provide a restful night’s sleep. It is one of the most popular essential oils in aromatherapy for relaxation. Furthermore:
- it can stop the key indicators of stress
- normalize high blood pressure
- promotes deep relaxation
- It is used as an anti-anxiety and anti-depression aid
- promotes a general feeling of wellbeing
improve your visualization abilities
2. Mugwort Essential Oil
Mugwort is a potent dream herb, aiding in the remembrance of altered states of consciousness. It is also known as a lucid dreaming oil.
- used for out-of-body and mystical experiences
- keep you longer in a conscious dream state (REM sleep)
- promotes relaxation
- effective agent to de-stress and soothe your tense, anxious nerves
- an effective tool if you are looking for something that can relax you mentally
- boost your memory levels
3. Rose Essential Oil
Highly recommend before bedtime, since it helps you feel grounded, centered and relaxed.
- it has calming properties
- helps to soothe emotions
- promote relaxation before sleep
- can be useful to people that suffer from depressive symptoms
- relieves anxiety and stress
4. Lavender Essential Oil
This is incredibly popular oil has all kinds of benefits. It increases slow-wave sleep, in which the heartbeat slows and muscles relax. Also, it is an effective treatment for insomnia. What is more:
- the floral scent can help people to unwind and rest
- mild sedative
- promotes deep sleep
- helps to decrease heart rate and blood pressure
5. Sandalwood Essential Oil
It is high in sesquiterpenes, the chemical component that stimulates the pineal gland, increasing melatonin production! More impacts include:
- relieve tension
- helps to heighten one’s intuition, aiding in experiencing astral projections
- promotes mental clarity
- boosts memory
6. Rosemary Essential Oil
Excellent antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, as well as antiseptic oil.
- beneficial for memory recall
- helps people feel more relaxed
- it also helps with learning and cognition
7. Peppermint Oil
It activates cold-sensitive receptors in the skin, which has relaxation properties. Inhale before bedtime for better sleep.
- makes you feel relaxed and refreshed
- can help with insomnia
- increase concentration
- reduce negative thoughts
8. Valerian Root Essential Oil
It allows the body to spend additional time in REM sleep stages evoking hyper-real and possible strong emotional responses from the dream.
- used to induce lucid dreaming for centuries
- creates more vivid and intense dreams
- induce sleep onset more quickly
9. Jasmine Oil
It has a tradition of use in astral travel blends. Inhale jasmine’s scent before going to sleep for deeper, more restful sleep.
- provides similar calming effects that lavender does
- increase alertness
- higher energy levels
- effective at reducing anxiety
10. Clove Essential Oil
Use as aromatherapy by applying the oil to pillows at night for long-term inhalation, restful sleep, and positive impact.
- ensures restful night’s sleep
- antibacterial and antifungal properties
- relieves anxiety when inhaled as in aromatherapy
- has a positive impact on the psychology
- soothes and stimulates to combat exhaustion and fatigue
11. Agarwood Essential Oil
Known also as oud, ” The Wood Of The Gods ”, Buddhists and Tibetan monks use it to convey energy to wind down the mind and spirit. What is more:
- facilitates clarity of mind
- used for emotional balance
- evokes inner piece
- calms the body
- removes destructive and negative energies
- provides higher awareness
- enhances mental functionality
- invokes a feeling of vigor and harmony
12. Blue Lotus Essential Oil
It invokes higher states of consciousness and provides a mild sense of tranquillity and euphoria.
- altered sense of awareness
- noticeable impact on the vividness of dreams
- improved dream recall
- induces a dreamlike sensation
- more colorful dreams and lifelike
13. Frankincense Essential Oil
It is one of the primary oils recommended for naturally stimulating the pineal gland!
- used as an antidepressant
- spiritually uplifting medicine
- have an impact on the clarity of dreams
- improved ability to recall dreams
14. Angelica Root Essential Oil
It is said to help to strengthen the mind and spirit. It infuses a sense of calm when used to heal and release traumatic emotions.
- also known as ” The Holy Spirit Root ”
- protects from night terrors and nightmares
- enhance clairvoyance
- removes bad energy
- known as a sleep aid
15. Chamomile Essential Oil
One of the best known natural sedatives, brilliant for sleep. Studies have shown that is effective in relieving stress and anxiety.
- soothing effect
- sleep inducing
- provides vivid dreams
- reduces insomnia
- relieves depression
16. Lemon Balm Essential Oil
It promotes relaxation by increasing levels of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA in the brain.
- promote relaxation before sleep
- induce more active dream states
- calming effects for anxiety, sleep problems, and restlessness
17. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Creates a nurturing environment that promotes inner calm and fosters spiritual practice.
- a good natural treatment for insomnia
- strong antioxidant properties
- good for wound healing, infections, and stomach aches
18. Palo Santo Essential Oil
A soothing essential oil, known for help with stress and anxiety, as well as aiding a good night’s sleep.
- calming and soothing qualities
- beneficial for all sorts of inflammations
- for those in search of spiritual awakening
- keeps the mind free of worries
- helps to get in touch with the inner self
19. Patchouli Essential Oil
Inhaling the aroma of patchouli essential oil may have sedative effects that could be useful in the treatment of sleep problems.
- can relieve nervous tension
- a soothing oil for meditation
- ideal for your pre-bedtime lucid dream incubation routine
20. Anise Essential Oil
It has restorative properties of the licorice-like scent, which can both energize and calm.
- used for nervousness, depression, and stress
- sedative for anxiety
- has a tranquilizing effect that can ease insomnia
- helps to drift off to sleep faster and sleep better as well
21. #Bonus – Lucid Dream Inhaler
The essential oils used in this lucid dreams scent inhaler were chosen specifically for their benefits. It will help to increase visualization, improve dream recall, repel nightmares and promote intuitive insight. The ingredients are:
- Clove essential oil: refreshes imagination
- Anise essential oil: clears negativity
- Clary sage essential oil: promotes intuition
- Frankincense essential oil: opens the mind to meditation and enlightenment
7. Final words
All in all, experiencing lucid dreaming will only be possible if you have a good quality sleep!
Do not expect to have any success with lucid dreaming if you are struggling with irregular sleeping patterns and other sleeping issues.
If your overall goal is to get a better rest and to improve faster your quality of sleep, then you should consider to use some of the essential oils above.
While most essential oil aromatherapies have not yet been scientifically studied, many of them still have calming and relaxing effects.
If you want more tips on how to improve your sleep, in order to lucid dream, be sure to check these 10 lucid dreaming hacks!
Looking for my order?
Hi Nannette, which exact order?
I do not sell anything, but if you ordered through the links in this article, you should contact Amazon! 🙂
Where are my essential oils I ordered Quite a while ago?????
As I wrote you on the e-mail a few days ago, I do not sell any essential oils and if you ordered through the links in this article, you should contact the seller which is Amazon.
But as far as I remember, you said in your email that you didn’t order the essential oils from Amazon, but you found it through facebook. So, I recommend you to find the right place from where did you ordered, and to contact them instead!
Interesting article. I had stopped dreaming for a while after menopause but a few drops of Frankincense on a cloth inside my pillowcase brought the dreams back and very interesting ones at that.
You mentioned that you could dilute an essential oil with another oil or water before putting it on your skin. Essential oils do not mix with water so water will not act to dilute it so water is not safe to dilute an essential oil.
Also you have to be very, very careful with Mugwort. It is toxic, a neurotoxin and an abortifacient. Pregnant women should not use mugwort.